Thursday, October 9, 2008

POE Team tribute to lovely and amazing birds

"I was always a lover of soft winged things." Victor Hugo


This quote captures perfectly how I have always felt about birds. I remember looking with my mother at two sparrows huddled together under the eve of our apartment building on a cold morning when I was about six years old. At that moment I fell in love. Walking through a garden or a park takes me forever, as I try to spot and identify each bird I hear. My husband has caught me more than once crouched down on our back porch, binoculars and camera close by. Thankfully, he is amused, instead of being concerned.

Birds amaze me with their strength and fragility, and their beauty, both in appearance and in song. They lift my spirits and are a comfort and a joy to me. They are ever-present companions, reminding me to keep looking up.

As always, I am in awe of the talent of my Photographers of Etsy teammates. Clicking on the highlighted words will take you to each artist's etsy shop. Enjoy these delightful and amazing photographs.

My inspiration to post a POE bird feature came from this beautiful barred owl portrait by JMcGuinness. The expression in the owl's eyes is so touching. You may see more of Jen's incredible work here.

These lovely feather photographs are by Pam Hardy of alwaysartistic. The feathers are from her sun conure, Jesse James, who may be seen here. The texture and colors in these are amazing. There is a softness and gentleness that is comforting.


This dramatic ttv is by Donna of gothicrow. I was struck by the contrast between the bright orange sky and the dark silhouettes of the birds and the angel. This hauntingly beautiful photograph hints at a connection between birds and the heavens, which really makes sense to me.


This incredible tufted titmouse portrait by RobertSocha demonstrates so well both the fragility and incredible strength of birds. The colors and composition in this photograph are amazing. Titmice are also one of my favorite birds.


This lovely portrait of a swallow by SharonKayDesigns is very striking. The lighting allows you to truly appreciate the details of the swallow's beautiful shape. The starkness of the bird and rope contrast well with the soft beauty of the water.

This beautifully composed portrait of an American Goldfinch is by Holly of orioneclipsed. The alertness in his eyes and his round little body are enchanting.

This is a lovely Eurasian Tree Sparrow portrait by PastPerfect. I love his beautiful brown feathers against the magenta background. There is also a bit of humor in this photograph. It is as if this little one is overseeing the activities below.

This beautiful "Bluebird of Happiness" by Roberta of uncommondepth has such an ethereal quality, it immediately caught my eye. The dreamy background is perfect to highlight this incredible mountain bluebird portrait.

Cardinals have always been very special to me, so this photo by Amy of ara133photography, is one of my all time favorites. I love the muted colors, and the way her feathers are fluffed out to keep her warm. There is an incredible tenderness to this portrait.


This incredible ttv is by Ellen of theeye. I love the blue and black, and the silhouette of his round little body is absolutely precious.

This final incredible photograph is by Jenn of jennsphotography. I think it is romantic, and the colors are absolutely lovely.


Thank you, so much Jen, Pam, Donna, Robert, Sharon, Holly, PastPerfect, Roberta, Amy, Ellen and Jenn for sharing your incredible talent with us!


And now, a few bird quotes that I love....


A leaf fluttered in through the window this morning, as if supported by the rays of the sun, a bird settled on the fire escape, joy in the task of coffee, joy accompanied me as I walked. Anias Nin


I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn. ~Henry David Thoreau


When nature made the blue-bird she wished to propitiate both the sky and the earth, so she gave him the color of the one on his back and the hue of the other on his breast. John Burroughs


"Do you know," Peter asked "why swallows build in the eaves of houses? It is to listen to the stories." Peter Pan

7 comments:

Writer said...

Great feature. Wonderful selection of birds!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Allie, this is a lovely tribute to these great POE members and the wonderful bird shots they have taken.
Peace, Judi

Fervent Butterfly Photography said...

Such beautiful bird shots! What a wonderful feature.

Pam said...

Allie, What an awesome feature. I am honored to be featured with these amazing photographers. Thank you.

~Pam

Orion Eclipsed Photography said...

Thanks so much for including me! Im honored to be included with all these wonderful artists!

Holly (-:

ara133photography said...

This is a wonderful feature, I loved reading your notes about each of these gorgeous images! Thank you so much for including my little cardinal! :)

Frau Zinnie said...

This is such a thoughtful, touching entry. Thank you so much for including my owl! You've uncovered so many talented photographers on Etsy!